fredag den 11. juni 2010

On the verge of unknown territory

I wrote this just before leaving Ilulissat. Thought I just as well could post it also.

_____________________________________________________________________________________


So, been in Ilulissat for a week now. Tomorrow morning I'll go to the airport and take a flight to Qaarsut from which I have to go by helicopter to Uummannaq.

The last 4 days have been kind of strange, since we haven't had any visitors. We've been passing the time reading up on our Greenland history, hiking in the mountains, drinking whisky while watching The Pacific and much much more.

Yesterday we had booked a table at Restaurant Marmatut, that is supposed to have the best Greenlandic Buffet. I don't know if they do the best buffet, but it's very good!

The buffet consisted of 25-ish different dishes (ranging from seal over reindeer to hallibut - and the very (in)famous matteq/mattak).


My plate after 3rd run to the buffet - and Greenlandic beer from Nuuk

It's been nothing less than great here and I'm so excited about what the next 2 months will bring. Because I have no idea what to expect. All I know is that I be placed on an a 12 km2 island in the town of Uummannaq. The town is not that big (only 1400 people live here), but it's still the biggest one in the district. The other villages having between 100-250 inhabitants.

I'll be staying at Hotel Uummannaq, which is owned by a Danish guy, Arne, who has lived here for the last 35 years. I will not be bringing a lot of info up there, but I reckon that I will be a lot wiser on my assignments once I've been there for a while.

But I'm unbearably excited.

Ingen kommentarer: