søndag den 20. juni 2010

Life in Uummannaq

Slowly I'm getting a bit more settled in the daily chores.

I have some long days here, beginning at 8 am and ending at 10 pm closing down the restaurant after dinner.
Fortunately though it's not like I'm working every minute in this time gap. Usually I've got time to go for a good walk and to read a bit.

Of course this is only the case when I have no guests to attend to. Right now there are only two Arctic Adventure-guests here, but two guests that don't want my assistance. It's two German women in their 40's, and they hardly speak any English.
They are afraid that they will crowd their program and overload the experience, which is why they just wander around the town and island – on their own.
If it was me that had 3 days up here, I would try to experience as much as possible, but hey! That's just me.
But fortunately I was able to set up a Kaffe-mik for them today (the only thing they wanted help with). So today I'm picking up the two ladies and taking them to a local woman called Elisabeth, who has prepared a traditional kaffe-mik for them.
That'll be fun to try!

I wont have any guests before next Friday, so until then I'll just work in the hotel.

I can feel that I've been here for a while now, and that I can recognize people around the town – and that they can recognize me as well (at least that's what I tell myself). It gives my stay a stronger ”home-like” feeling, which is a nice feeling.

Well, I just wanted to say hi, and show you some pictures I taken during my time here.

Oh, before I go: I had the strangest but coolest experience here on last Friday. A German acting group (Das Letzte Kleinod) had set up a play about the meeting between the Inuit people and the German whalers back in the 17th and18th century.
They used the old house for storing all the blubber from the whales, which gave the whole thing a real authentic impression.

The inuit was portrayed by a famous Greenlandic actress (whose name I don't remember now..). All her lines were done in Greenlandic which meant that I didn't understand a word, but they were good at showing the moods with their faces and gestures. So you kind of had an idea whether to cry or laugh. The rest of the play was done in a combination of English and German.

Great experience!



The village of Niaqornat. Situated on the Nussuaq Peninsula


One of the hundreds of puppies. Taken in one of the villages north of Uummannaq


The newest cemetery in Uummannaq


View from a trip north of Uummannaq town. The town is placed on the far side of the land from where I took the picture. Maybe you can see it?


Probably the best placed football field in the world. But definetely not the best football field quality-wise. Taken in Uummannaq


Typical Uummannaq houses



Storøen (The Great Island). The neighbour of Uummannaq. A beautiful view to wake up to


The view from the hotel's terrace. You can see the church, the old house where the doctor used to live (the yellow house next to the church), the supermarket (the big red house on the left), the water-cleansing facility (?) (the big silo behind the supermarket), and last but not least, the Board (Brædtet) all the way in the front of the picture. This is where the fishermen sell their catch.


It can be like this also.. You can just see Storøen under the clouds.



Guess who. Taken at the same time as the previous picture

Ingen kommentarer: