lørdag den 5. juni 2010

First impressions in Ilulissat

So arrived in Ilulissat yesterday afternoon after a long wait in Kangerlussuaq.
The flight here was perfect - blue sky and a seat by the window made me forget the time, and I just tried to take in all that I could.


View from my seat south of Ilulissat

After 45 minutes flight we landed in Ilulissat, and I was picked up by one of our partners assistents and driven to the house we live in.
It's a nice little house 5 minutes walk from the harbour. The house has a small balcony from which there's view over one of the areas in the city where the dogs are kept.


The view

After a little while my two fantastic co-guides (Kasper and Ugne) came home after an excursion with some guests and the three of us went to eat at Hotel Ice Fjord - it was an huge experience. I had reindeer steak and mashed potatoes, a cold beer and the most beautiful view of the Disko Bay. Nice

Kasper (a guy that's been working with the company for four seasons) had organized a midnight cruise for our guests (and me :-)). That meant that there was no time for me to close my eyes, but I figured that it would be ok to go on a boat, look at the icebergs and have a martini. And it was totally ok.
Besides the amazing scenary, we had the pleasure of a small, tired humpback whale. During Kaspers speech about the different types of ice Jens Ole (our captain) got a message saying that a whale had been spotted close by.
He turned on the engine and we started looking.. and there it was. A bit far away, but it was there.



Jens sailed us closer and we followed the whale around for 40 minutes. At the end the whale disappeared for a while, but it came back. Big time! :-)



My first day in Greenland. Not bad. Not bad at all.

After a great boat trip we started going back to Ilulissat. Mean while the clock turned midnight and we were just enjoying an unforgettable view.


Pic taken at 00:02. Ilulissat lit by the midnight sun


Icebergs in the midnight sun

Till next time.

Schüss!

1 kommentar:

emilryge sagde ...

For helvede, det ser godt ud, Aslak. Håber du får tid til at skrive noget mere. Det er inspirerende læsning.

-Emil